Emptied Out...


The sinners and the sick, the broken, the discouraged, the wounded and burdened — we are the ones who get to celebrate grace!  Ann Voskamp


Even as we started the slow drive out of the neighborhood, we realized this would be a tough day.  As we drove past a man on the side of the road, Shiku leaned onto her dad (who was truly in great pain) to yell and punch out the window, screaming angrily.   

The windows were all open.  She had visited the bar early that morning, and was already smelling of very strong drink.  The stench filled the car.  People stared.

Baba Shiku laid his head back and moaned.

We arrived.  Mama Wambui and I both queasy... 
 ...from the emotion - of friends carrying this grandfather patient to the car, tears streaming down their cheeks, thinking this could be their last goodbye...  
...from the stench - of unbathed friends, after a night of drinking...  
...from exhaustion, even though the day was only beginning.



We spent most of our day, helping to carry him, from one hospital to another for x-rays, then back to the first.  And the whole time, our friends forgot to be thankful.  Instead, we were bombarded with requests... demands...  

And, as I struggled, feeling utterly poured out, I realized...
I am LOVED by GOD... even when I am unlovely.  
I receive GRACE... even when I am ungrateful!

God, you are asking this of me... that I continue to show YOUR love! 

Tonight, as I battle tears that lie close to my exhausted and empty body, I recognize in a deep, thirsty way - the love that Christ shows me... daily.  And, I am thankful!


The sinners and the sick, the broken, the discouraged, the wounded and burdened — WE are the ones who get to celebrate grace!  Ann Voskamp
     


Comments

  1. You and you entire family are beyond amazing...and I know it is because God has gifted you with extraordinary strength, faith and grace to face all you have to everyday. Daily, I pray for you all and wonder...how you all are doing and how tired are you? So thankful for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder. Love without expectations, I am learning a lot about that one lately. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camie, praying for you now sweet, dear friend.May we all be as aware of our utter neediness before or loving Heavenly Father who is there to hold uswhen a just can't anymore. May He restore you today and give you what you may need for circumstances and situations that are completely uncomfortable, exhausting, and unlovely. Sending my love, Kristina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts