A HOSPITAL PATIENT AND two FAINTING mzungu VISITORS...

A HOSPITAL PATIENT

AND two FAINTING mzungu VISITORS...


 

When we discovered that our special neighbor, Mama Ogla was in the hospital,  it was unquestioned... we MUST visit her.
It was my first time into a public hospital here in Kenya. 

The conditions are difficult even to describe... filth... heat... bugs... crowded... Mama Ogla was sharing a (twin) bed with another large woman. 
 
I wish I had a picture - my emotions were too great to even pull out my camera!


 After a short while, Abby whispered to me, "I'm feeling a little dizzy." 
The whole situation was making me feel dizzy too!
We found a spot on the bed (already occupied by 2 ladies) for her to sit. As soon as Abby sat down, she fainted
Despite my protests, the other mama moved out of the hospital bed to leave some space for Abby to lie down.


As Abby was recovering, Mama Ogla started to describe the procedure she had gone through ...the pain she had experienced. I had gone through the same procedure in the US while under general anesthetic!  Mama Ogla hadn't even been given pain killers. 

Listening to her story, imagining the pain she must have suffered, I started to feel dizzy.  The next thing I knew, I was waking up on the floor of the hospital, with a huge crowd around me... including Mama Ogla - all trying to figure out how to get me up and into a bed.

Needless to say... we had a good laugh... a hospital visit we will never forget... and left many many patients and visitors with a great story to tell their families tonight!

And, my burden... the health care system - and how the poor are treated.    I ACHE for them!

We do love baby Ogla!

Sweet baby Ogla!
Ogla helping make soap

Mama Ogla, learning to make soap... getting ready to start her own business!


Supplies gifted to Mama Ogla for the startup of her soap business

Comments

  1. What an experience for you. I admire your family for all you do for the people in Kenya. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts