After We Had Given So Much, She Came to STEAL!?!








It's hard to even know how to relate this story.

I guess I'll just start at the beginning!

We met Shiku about 6 months ago now.  Broken.  Desperate.

Read SHIKU'S background story HERE... 

 And we prayed for her!  
Many of you prayed with us!

We watched her FIGHT.
FALL.
Then get up and FIGHT again.

And we rejoiced!!!
And we prayed WITH her!

And saw her come out of prostitution to work on beads instead...

And we rejoiced!

We saw her move into her own place.

And we rejoiced!

We saw her struggling to quit drinking and drugs.

And we rejoiced.

And even more importantly, she rejoiced!

The transformation was tangible... visible...
The community began to take notice. 
A woman they all knew - in all the wrong ways - was changing!
GOD'S WORK in her life was so REAL!!!




Before
After
Reading to us during our Bible Study
From living in an abandoned bathroom stall
To a place of her own



And, I wish the story could just stop there...

But, here's the truth.

Giving practical help is easy...
  DISCIPLESHIP takes time... 
  and walking with hurting people HURTS!

And so, Shiku's story continues...

Just a few days ago, I left Abby at home alone - while I walked over to our Girls With Vision Center.

She was sound asleep, and I didn't want to lock her in the house - so I carefully closed each door and gate - making it look like no one was home.

Abby awoke to the sound of rustling right outside her bedroom door.

Shiku was there - carrying a bag full of food she had already gathered to steal - thinking that noone was home.

She was very high.

Abby was very shaken.

We were all shocked  - and most of all, deeply disappointed!

So much progress... then, Shiku not only fell back, but came to steal from us - the ones who had been loving her through this process!

It felt personal.  It HURT!

Giving practical help is easy...
  DISCIPLESHIP takes time... 
  and walking with hurting people HURTS!

But I wanted to share this story... because we all hope for quick, healing, deep change.  The truth is, nothing in my own life ever changed that quickly!  Things I struggle with don't disappear in 5 months! 

And the next time I saw Shiku, as frustrated as I was with her, I still just had to give her a big hug.  Because although anger and rejection are how I felt like approaching her, I have to recognize all the times that God welcomes me back...  

And, LOVE is the only thing that ever changed me - LOVE is the only thing that will ever change Shiku.  

So as difficult as it is, I need to reflect that forgiving LOVE and GRACE that God extends to me - every time I make a mistake!!


Jesus understands every weakness of ours, because he was tempted in every way that we are. But he did not sin! 

 So whenever we are in need, we should come bravely before the throne of our merciful God.  
There we will be treated with undeserved kindness, and we will find help.

Hebrews 4:15-16





"Our perspective should be less about how we are going to fix the materially poor and more about how we can WALK TOGETHER, asking God to fix us both."
Brad Matlack












!

Comments

  1. Today, of all days, I needed to hear this story...thank you for sharing...for living. I love y'all's love.

    -trev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. So many of us need this reminder. God continues to forgive us, but we often don't want to forgive others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts