When the HIV test comes back positive.

Last Sunday morning, the worship song repeated over and over…
“The earth is filled with His glory”
“The earth is filled with His glory”


I couldn’t sing along.  All that kept going through my head was the pain and suffering that seems to be filling every corner I look into.  I wasn’t sure where that glory was hiding!  It seems that the earth is filled with …just plain HARD… UNFAIR… HURT… SUFFERING…


Then today, I was asked by a pastor to join him in taking a very sick mama to the hospital.  Another story of horrible grief.  Gang raped… abandoned by her husband for another… And so sickly that when I met the mama, fear gripped me - I don't know if she will live!  

I sat in the small, stuffy HIV testing tent with her as we awaited results.  

The doctor returned with the answer...  Positive.

Where is your glory God?

Her tears… her questions… her main concern - my baby is too young for me to die!

Oh God, where is your glory in this situation!

Then, I looked around the benches.  A pastor and 2 mamas from the church were surrounding her with compassion…  

God was bringing his glory through their eyes and words - through their LOVE!

A minute later, a familiar face walked into the clinic, a friend who has experience with HIV for some time.  I choked up as I watched her interact with a new victim of this dreaded disease.  She walked her home… promised to visit tomorrow… prayed… and most of all, offered HOPE - you won’t die!

God was bringing his glory through someone's own story of suffering - through her offer of HOPE!

My favorite photo of the day... one mama walking a very sick mama home
I knew the mama was too weak to care for herself in any way.  I learned that 3 ladies from the church are taking turns checking in on her, cooking and caring for her.  

God’s glory being proclaimed through their SACRIFICE.

I’m no theologian… just wondering…

Maybe God’s glory isn’t forced on this earth.  Actually, when the world just goes its own way, God doesn’t usually receive a whole lot of glory. 

Maybe that’s just up to me… up to you… up to all of us, who feel suffocated by suffering but need to breathe hope into one life, one situation, one home, one person’s eyes.

And bring glory to God.


I think perhaps we need to rework that worship song a little - and I’m not a poet either… or I would.  
This earth isn't filled with God's glory... until we, God's people bring His HOPE, His LOVE, His SACRIFICE into dark places.






Popular Posts